Sunday, March 1, 2020

Meet Artist Phyllis Berger

Artist Statement

Phyllis Berger
O-021 Poppy by Phyllis Berger  wc 11x14 $400

             I spent my early childhood in Stockton, later young years on a ranch outside of Clements, and then back to Stockton for about 50 years.  I have always loved Calaveras County, and feel lucky to have a home here now.  I am married, with an extended blended family.  My son Jon and his family live in Arnold, which greatly enhances my affection for this area.

O-024 Clements Longhorn by Phyllis Berger wc 11x14 $150
            I am an attorney and law professor, and recently retired from active practice and teaching.  I still do some consulting.  My work and community activities have kept me very busy over the course of my career, but of course retirement reduced the demands on my time.  I decided to take drawing and watercolor classes in the OLLI program at UOP last fall, under the guidance of instructor Deanna Hunt.  She and my wonderful old and new friends in the classes greatly inspired me to embrace the creative process, and now I like to paint almost every day.  Although I am a beginner, I hope it is never too late to learn, and that I can continue to develop my skills and appreciation. 

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”  Picasso


No comments: