Monday, May 6, 2013

Meet Artist Courtney Wise, Ironstone Spring Obsession Accepted Artist

Courtney Wise
Artist Statement

O023  "Birds and Flowers"  by Courtney Wise  collage  11x15  $375

 For as long as I can remember I have loved to create art, take photos and figure out how things work. My hands are rarely idle. I listen best when I can sit and draw. While attending graduate classes or sitting in church my notes are covered with little doodles of things I see or things I make up. Art is an outlet for me; it is time when I get to sit and think, express things that are going on in my life or just a way to unwind from a busy day.

One of my fondest memories in Kindergarten was when my teacher allowed me to stay at the paint easel and create artwork past the time when everyone else was finished. From the time I was five I was encouraged to pursue a career in art.  With that encouragement and support from my family I continued to draw, paint and sculpt my way into college.  I earned a Bachelors of Art in Art Studio from Sonoma State University in 2001. Planning on becoming an art teacher I moved to Sacramento to earn my teaching credential and worked part time, but plans to teach started to change with my desire to own a business.

O-027  "Wedding Headress"  bu Courtney Wise
pencil  7x13  $225
Scrapbooking has always been a huge passion of mine; I am my family's photographer. I love capturing moments in time, people's expressions along with being able to look back at all of the memories. In 2002, I opened Scrapbook Dreams in Stockton, CA which I designed and built from the ground up. I ran and operated my business for three years. It was a dream come true, to be able to create my own schedule, create scrapbook pages all day and help others design their memories in an artful way.

I am a person who likes change and a challenge, so after three years of hard work, I sold my business to become a teacher. Teaching has always been a passion; my original plan was to become an art teacher, but I again changed paths because I wanted more job security. I earned my multiple subject teaching credential and have been teaching for eight years. I also have earned my Masters in Education and I am highly qualified in History. I love to bring art and creativity into the classroom and inspire my students' imaginations.

Art is a passion, a past time, an outlet, an expression, and a part of who I am. For me creativity can be found in an old broken down barn, on my nieces' faces, from a photograph, from a comment, from a cloud in the sky or simply from a thought.  I look forward to bringing color to a blank slate that will make a statement, make someone think or question, or bring a smile to someone's face. Art is and always will be a part of who I was created to be. 

O-025  "Eight Days of Sunshine"  by Courtney Wise  pen/wc 11x15  $275







No comments: