Monday, January 21, 2013

Meet Artist Constance McLennan, Spring Obsession Theme Division 2013 Accepted Artist

T-014  "Spring Flare" by Connie McLennan  oil  16 x 16 $450
CONSTANCE MCLENNAN
Biography &
Statement

"For me, painting must be more than the technical exercise of rendering what can be seen or photographed. Whereas a detailed rendering is finite and limited in what it offers, a more impressionistic work embodies the spirit of the artists and reveals new aspects the longer one looks."

I grew up in the isolated, small-town atmosphere of Yreka, CA, a historic mining and lumber community. A favorite memory is of accompanying my father, a veterinarian, on his out-calls amid the natural beauty of Mt. Shasta and the surrounding ranches and countryside. I drew and painted from an early age, receiving my first "award" at age four from the San Francisco Chronicle - the weekly "Junior Art Champion".

My painting career took a long time to develop. Before attending Academy of Art University in San Francisco, I graduated from CSU Sacramento with a degree in journalism.  After two years at the Academy, I began my artistic life as a freelance illustrator.  In the following years, I illustrated a variety of local and national advertising, institutional and editorial projects, including 13 children's books.  One of my last illustration projects was the poster for the 2010 California State Fair.

I attended my first painting workshop in 1994. I continued to attend and learn a little more about painting one week every year for several years.  Between 2010 and 2012, I was enormously influenced by a series of workshops with well-known impressionist Don Hatfield.

My training as an illustrator gave me a solid foundation for painting. But, while the ingredients of a successful painting are similar to those of an effective illustration, painting affords me the freedom to paint subjects I choose in a way I find more satisfying.  I began as a realist but am working toward impressionism. For me, a painting is as much about how an artists handles color, design and brushstrokes as it is about the subject or message.

I am a two-time contributor to the U.S. Air Force Art Collection. In May, 2011, my collection of 25 8x8 paintings won first place in the "20 -20 Show" at the Kennedy Gallery in Sacramento. My painting of a Rocklin heritage oak received a "Judges Choice" award in Ironstone's 2012 Spring Obsession Show.  That painting also was chosen "Best of Show" in the 2012 University Art Open Exhibition. Guests may visit my home studio in Rocklin during the Art & Chocolate Studio Trek (April 27 - 28) and the Placer Art Studios Tour in November.



Heritage Museum Note:  Connie will be present this year at the Opening of the Spring Obsession Show, March 2 & 3. Stop in and say hello!


T-015  Greenland Trio by Constance McLennan  oil  16x16  $450

2 comments:

Connie said...

Thanks, Chris! Looking forward to a great weekend at Spring Obsession 2013.

Ironstone Museum said...

Always look forward to seeing you here that weekend. So much fun seeing all your new works!