Monday, February 18, 2013

Meet Artist Cathryn Stong, Spring Obsession Open Division Artist



Cathryn Ann Strong


0-127, Chinese Camp Barn, Watercolor, Open Division, 18 x 24
 0-130, Calveritas Wall, Watercolor, Open Division, 11 x 14


At age 12, my first oil painting class was with senior citizens at their local center, which offered the only available painting class my parents could find.   It was not until my last year of high school that I was able to take another formal art class,  While in college, I was fortunate enough to enroll in  various art classes and  a drawing class under Wayne Thiebaud while working toward my B.A. at U.C. Davis.   Since I was on an accelerated course for teaching, I did not pursue an art major, but considered a double major.  When I transferred to San Jose State University for a teaching credential, the school was overcrowded, and because I could not get the teaching courses, my postgraduate work was in creative writing and art.   It was at San Jose State that I fell in love with watercolor painting. 
After college I sold paintings and accepted commissions, but during my working career and raising my children, I stopped all serious painting, although I was able to take a few art workshops mainly at Yosemite Art Center or Arts Benicia.   
One day, as my husband and I have a home in Groveland, CA, I noticed a painting class at Mountain Sage under the instructor, Jim Leitzell.   I have been taking classes with Jim off and on for two years and credit him for bringing me back to the art world and realizing my passion of watercolor painting.   Under his guidance, I won second place, best in Show, at Columbia College in 2010.  I continue to take art workshops with various artists at Copperopolis Art Gallery, with Jim in Groveland, CA, and also at the Yosemite Art Center every chance I get.  
 My work will be shown at the Groveland Library with the Sierra Professional Artists, Saturdays, April through June.   I have been a member of Sierra Professional Arts since 2010, and Ironstone Spring Obsession 2013 is the first art show that I have entered.
Phone:  209-962-5603.  Cell: 707-373-1232

No comments: