Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Meet Accepted Theme Division Artist Sandra Campbell

SANDRA CAMPBELL

T-016 Purple Parrots  by Sandra Campbell  pastel 9x15  $200


I love color and experimentation.  My subjects include landscapes, florals, still life and animals.  Initially, I worked only with soft pastels but since have branched out into collage and acrylics, often combining these into mixed media pieces.  Lately, I’ve created some abstract works, a complete departure for someone who used to produce only realistic art. 

For pastels, I like to work on sanded surfaces, which allow for more layers of color.  When people hear the word ‘pastel,’ they may think of soft colors.  But what attracts me to this medium is the possibility for vibrant oranges, brilliant yellows, and intense purples and reds.” 

T-015  Planting Time  by Sandra Campbell  pastel 12x15  $250
Mixed media pieces utilize traditional canvasses, canvas panels or illustration board.  Most of my collage pieces are fabricated from rice or similar-type papers, which come in a variety of textures.  Most recently, I’ve been working on 6 x 6-inch surfaces for both collage and acrylics. 

Landscapes are created both from my own photographs and by working plein air with fellow artists in an American Association of University Women’s art group.  Many of the finished products are featured at the art show during the AAUW annual home tour.  I also show my work during the local studio tour. 


Amador County is alive with artists who inspire me and support my efforts.  Periodically, I take a college class or an artist’s workshop which may send me in a new direction.  Membership in the Sierra Pastel Society, the Amador County Artists Association and Arts Council provides collegial support as does my AAUW art group.  My work is on display at the Sutter Creek Gallery at 35 Main Street, Sutter Creek.  

No comments: