Monday, February 7, 2022

Meet Artist Sally Ann Fischer

 


T-029 Early Blooms by Sally Fischer oil 9x12 $800
Sally Anne Fischer B. 1981

I attribute my creativity and passion for fine art to the women in my family. Our history spans back five generations in the Sierra Foothills. Each woman expressing unique style through decorating her home, collecting primitive & historic objects and even her wardrobe. They would purchase and discuss antique fine art and it was regarded as a luxury prized possession. As I was surrounded by beauty both as paintings and in the craftsmanship of many houses thoughtfully restored by my mother, I began to dream of someday creating art for others to enjoy. 

Like many people, I have been painting since childhood, but that natural ability was cultivated by my mother and grandmother who were both artists and generous with their quality art supplies. As a young child with divorced parents, I also used drawing as a way to escape reality and a yelling stepmother. I enjoyed attending a Waldorf elementary school where painting and drawing were part of the daily curriculum. This paved the path for art in college. 

O-079 Stent, Early Spring by Sally Fischer oil 12x16 $1200

I studied with Dan Peterson at Yosemite College, then with Nick Potter at Fresno State University taking advance oil painting classes while completing an equine science degree. I worked as a feed formulator but ended up in the wine industry when moving back to Tuolumne County. The wine industry was stifled because of the pandemic and it was the push I needed to begin painting full time. Most of my artistic development occurred after taking several plein air workshops including California painters Chuck Waldman and Jim McVicker. 

 

O-080 Sonora Rooftops by Sally Fischer oil 6x8 $550

My current work reflects daily experiences mixed with my emotions and memories.  Still-lifes include objects that have personal significance, and landscapes with historic meaning or childhood memories.  I primarily work with oils “en plein air” (outdoors) and value high quality, hand made or antique frames. 

O-081 The Ranch by Sally Fischer oil 9x12 $800

I currently live in Sonora with my husband and daughter. My studio is at 25 S Washington street in Downtown Sonora and I also use the sun room of our 1940s home to paint every morning. 

 

Memberships:

Motherlode Art Association

Laguna Plein Air Painters Association

Wine and Spirits Education Trust L3

No comments: