Friday, October 8, 2010

Artist Diana Eppler's work on display now thru Nov. 17

Ironstone's Galleria is celebrating a new art exhibit of paintings by artist Diana Eppler. Diana's work will be on display in our main Galleria, just below the tasting room, Wednesday through Sundays from 10 to 5. 
As Diana explains...

“The foothills are a wonderful area for artists. The landscape choices are endless and all within a morning’s drive. My painting subjects are varied as that is my nature. I will probably be perpetually in some period of transition with my art which, I hope, is a good thing. I try to work towards a melding of classical, contemporary and my own style; always striving to share with the viewer a means of expression which is representational without being literal or prosaic.

I used to worry where was I going with my art? Was I a colorist, tonalist, impressionist, plein air or studio painter? I now know my art leads me. Each piece is individual and dictates how it should be painted. First comes what I feel, then what I see.


When I paint is is me and it is my own. An idea for painting frequently comes from my emotional response to color and light. I build around that, often changing the subject matter partly or entirely until the color, light, movement and design meet to fit the mood. This manner of creating a painting works well for the studio, which I very much enjoy, however, painting en plein air (outdoors in one sitting) is a good way to rejuvenate the very feeling that create the moods. You hear and smell the water, wind and grass storing away those sensations to conjure up later. The instant gratification and capturing the moment in a couple of hours is a great way for me to loosen up.”

Born in Amador County, Diana lived at Lake Tahoe and in Nevada, Southern and Northern California before returning to the foothills in 1997. She and her husband now reside in Jamestown. Although always drawing and painting from childhood, she never had an art class. In later years she attended Western Nevada Community College and studied with Wellington Smith, noted artist, lecturer and teacher. Workshops over the years included Janet Tarjan Earl, Edgardo Garcia, Jeanette LeGrue, Kathleen Dunphy and Charles Waldman although she considers herself, basically, self taught. Past Board of Director of the Siskiyou Art Assoc., Creative Arts Guild and Mother Lode Art Assoc. Past member of the Lithia Artists Assoc., Central Sierra Arts Council and Central Calif. Art Assoc. Founding member of the Post and Aloft Art Galleries, Sonora and currently Display Director of the Aloft Art Gallery.

She has been accepted in numerous juried shows and won many awards including First Place, Foothill Favorites MLAA Show. Her works hang in homes and businesses across the country and can be seen on her web site. http://dianaeppler.com/

No comments: