Thursday, April 25, 2024

Meet Spring Obsession 2024 artist Robin Mooney

 Robin Mooney - Cupertino, California


Nearing the end of a 36-year career as a Civil Engineer and worried about what trouble I might get myself into during my retirement, my wife and sister-in-law conspired. For a birthday, they surprised me with paints, brushes, paper and a week-long watercolor workshop with Dale Laitinen. While I was obviously in way over my head, I greatly enjoyed that workshop. I have returned to Dale's Virginia City workshops to paint and reconnect with friends for most of the last twenty years.


After using up my allotment of classes in furniture design and sculpture at De Anza College, my artistic endeavors now focus on watercolor. I especially enjoy painting with my friends, Ron and Popi Tyler in Santa Rosa.


It was with Popi's 3encouragement and support that I have entered a painting in the theme category for the second time. Each of these entries experimented with the use of gesso to supplement the primary use of watercolors. These paintings are a departure from my usual paintings of landscapes with architectural elements and a Virginia City theme. 


T-022 Tres Amigos #3 by Robin Mooney wc 11.5x15.75 $400


No comments: