Thursday, April 18, 2024

Meet Spring Obsession 2024 Artist Vaughn Lew

 Vaughn Lew

O-097 Buttermilk Dawn by Vaughn Lew pastel 12x21 $615


I have been drawing for as long as I can remember. Art isn't something I was int5roduced to it was something I did. We lived on a cattle ranch when I was young and that outdoorsy life has been a big influence on my art.

O-098 Jawbone Dream by Vaughn Lew oil 18x24 $615


My art education was pretty low key until college. 
Sacramento State exposed me to DeWitt, Whistler, Jayne and Dr. Tarmo Pasto - They had a lot to say.


Mr. Jayne was a "Who's Who in American Art" artist and Dr. Pasto was an early pioneer of art psychology. He lived for form and space.

After college I taught art and humanities at Elk Grove High School. If you really want to "know" art, teach it. I can honestly say that was the toughest job I ever had. The questions never stop and energy is always high. I taught five years at Elk Grove with some adult education in several places but ended up in construction. Art production was low then, but I was always leaning to art.


We moved to Murphys in 2008, built a home and discovered Ironstone Winery, and the art show that changed everything. The support has been great, and I have always enjoyed participating in the show. I have wone several family merit awards, a second place, and had my pastel accepted for the poster.


I have also entered and won awards at he Carnegie in Turlock and the Mistlin Gallery.


My mediums are primarily oil and pastel with an occasional Prisma color.





No comments: