Saturday, March 26, 2022

Meet Artist Susan Regert

 Susan Regert Gallery

SusanRegertGallery@yahoo.com

(209)777-0685

T-028 Flower Garden by Susan Regert Casagrande wc 20x28 $1499


A native Californian, Susan Regert grew up on a small ranch close to the city of Merced. She raised her two sons at the same location. For fifteen years she raised a flock of Suffolk sheep with the help of her boys. "That was the best time of my life" the artist states. The sudden death of her father plunged her in a whole new life experience as she took over the family cattle operation. It was an intense operation with 1200 head of cattle and a feedlot during the summer months and the cattle in the hills in the winter. During the first two years of learning the business there was no time to paint. The hours spent horseback and working cattle were used to mentally gather information and subject matter to transpose into watercolors.

In 1986 she opened the Regert Gallery, "It was wonderful to have a special place to work and display my paintings. I prefer to work Plein Air or paint on location but ny studio was great when the weather was bad. Painting is my escape from pressure. I can truly lose myself in my work." Susan has shown her artworks throughout California and has won numerous awards. Her watercolors hand in several banks and in many corporate and private collections. One major firm owns forty0five of her paintings. Two of her paintings were featured on the cover of national magazines and two were commissioned by Wallco Land and Cattle of Australia for their corporate offices.

In 1996 she started Z Garden Party. I designed and manufactured metal garden sculptures. I had permanent show rooms in Atlanta and Dallas plus doing shows across the US> I had never traveled much so this was exciting. The shop for eh metal work was at the ranch with the cattle so I could keep an eye on everything. It was a very challenging and busy time but my two sons worked with me through it all.

I closed my gallery in 2019 after 33 years in business and moved to Truckee with my new husband. The mountains, rivers and snow were a great inspiration for paintings and Covid gave me lots of time to paint. The sudden death of my husband in 2021 has sent me back to Merced and my family. I am truly grateful to be able to paint. It has blessed me through the good as well as the difficult times of my life. My business would never have succeeded without the help of my family and friends and support of my customers. I am grateful to all of them.

No comments: